Thursday 13 September 2012

Comparison


I found this quote on Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's blog - go and have a look, it's fabulously inspirational. I shall be linking this post to her 'Art Journal Every Day' link list on Friday (which will be Saturday for me :) )
Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
How true!

How often do we compare ourselves and not like what we see?  Instead of being content with who we are and what we have, we look over the fence and desire what is there.

As artists this comes up a lot. We see a piece of work by someone else and like it. But instead of just being blessed by the fabulous creativity, we compare our own work with it. Often what we have previously been pleased with we now start to see faults in.

Why do we do this?

What we have to remember is that we are not comparing like with like. We are all unique. We should be content with being an original rather than a carbon-copy of someone else!




3 comments:

  1. I love the soft colors you choose! And I agree... about the awesome quote AND finding your own style. When I began art journaling I had no idea what I was doing and the theme of my early journals is "finding my Voice"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful spread and colors along with the white doodling around the edges. That's a good quote-one we all need to remember.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true! thanks for this reminder. I am participating in an e course and comparing my work to the other participants is just deflating me all the time! SO thank you. your page is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.