Sunday 11 November 2012

Making progress


Does your life ever feel as if you are rowing into the wind? It just feels as if you are working away and not getting anywhere - like the red queen in Alice you have to run to keep still. It's draining. 

I feel a bit like that at the moment. 

I started to think about how sailboats deal with this sort of thing. Instead of heading straight into the wind, they tack back and forth across it. Sometimes the shortest way from A to B is not a straight line but a zigzagging one. Sometimes you have to go sideways to go forwards. 

Are there any places in your life where you feel you aren't making any headway? Perhaps you can find a way to come at them from a different direction. It may take a little longer, but you get to conserve your energy when you work smarter. 

And on the drawing front, a visit to the zoo yesterday yielded these:



A drawing of the sculpture of a chimpanzee's finger that stands near the entrance to the zoo. I had to work fairly quickly as the sun was moving and the shadows kept changing.


A napping koala captured in a ten-minute sketch.

Hope your weekend has been fun!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Tracy, this is wonderful! And just what I needed! Yes, I have been feeling this way a lot lately...and I will be zig zagging...hopefully to go forward. Peace to you, kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for visiting me and commenting! In answer to your question about clogging up Sharpie fine points on top of gesso and paint...my fine point markers do not work either, but I used Sharpie PENS, rather than markers! They work perfectly and are my very favorite!! I only wish they made these pens in gray too! I love them! Hope you can find them, if not, let me know! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. your koala sketch is delightful! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.