Wednesday 19 August 2015

Busy is easy


It can seem that the pace of life in the 21st century is super busy. If you haven't scheduled your time to the minute, every minute, you can feel like you're not doing enough.

Well, I say, 'Busy is easy.'

It isn't a badge of honour.

It is easy to over-burden yourself; to say 'yes' to everything; to fill up your time so you don't have to think. There are so many possibilities.

It's much harder to be still and quiet; to have slack in your schedule so you can take up those unexpected opportunities without having to rearrange everything else you're doing; to contemplate and take stock.

Yes, we only have a certain amount of time in this life, but life is not about ticking all the boxes. There are some things that, although good in and of themselves, are not the best for you right now. I like to think of it like this: If there has been an accident and there is someone with a broken leg and someone else whose heart has stopped, do you help the former or the latter? Now, helping the person with the broken leg is a good thing, but in this situation it isn't the best thing.

Saying 'no' is hard, especially if you're not sure how that answer is going to be received. But putting a bit of breathing space into your timetable is essential.



2 comments:

  1. I love this page with the wonderful shapes and colours

    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post! There is a lot to think about here. The message is clear, it's when I start to apply it to my own world that it gets complicated. I'm so glad I took the time to check your blog this morning. I was berating myself for waking up late and being off track, so why was it I clicked? I am at peace with sleeping longer than planned after reading your words and taking in your beautiful painting. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.