Friday 5 January 2018

We all need a little white space


We live in a world that applauds life lived at a frantic pace. Each waking minute must be filled with activity. Full schedules are a badge of honour. Even children are hustled from school to music lessons to sports practice.

Where's the space to read for fun, to stare off into space, to play?

We all need a sabbath break, a little white space.

In art, white space gives the eye a place to rest. In life, we need space in our diaries. Space to say, 'Yes, I can do coffee this afternoon' or 'come on over and let's talk about it'. When all the squares on your calendar are full, you don't have any slack when people need someone to talk to. How much do you appreciate it when you need to talk and you have someone who will sit with you and not be constantly looking at their watch/phone because they have somewhere else to be? Someone who is genuinely listening because they aren't rushed.

You can't be that person to someone else if there is no white space in your life.

Make 2018 the year when you slow down and make space.




3 comments:

  1. That's very perceptive, Tracy! I must say, being an introvert, I have lots of white space in my diary (in fact I don't even have a diary - the few engagements I'm committed to I can keep in my head)! On the other hand, I don't leave much white space in my art - I've always struggled with that. You handled white space beautifully on your page and I love the parallel you drew to everyday life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of art and wonderful reflections. I agree so much about how the pace of life leaves little time for actually living it. Such wonderful things to reflect on. So well said. I'm looking at my empty slots in my calendar and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Tracy - I'm intending to add a lot more white space this year once the move is done and dusted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.