Monday 28 November 2016

Advent


Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent, the first day of the church's (liturgical) year. Although 'advent' means 'arrival', this is really a season of waiting. The arrival doesn't actually happen until Christmas.

I find that Advent is a contemplative season, like Lent. It is a time for slowing down and thinking about what the season is all about. At a time when the world is speeding up and rushing headlong into a bustling season of presents and parties, I like to slow down and wait with expectation.

This has really been a year of waiting for me. My word for the year has been 'continue', but that has turned out to be very similar to 'wait'. Continuing has been about carrying on; about doing what I have already been doing and not pursuing new stuff. I have taken a couple of opportunities that have come my way, but I haven't looked for them.

And the waiting has been productive. I can see an increased complexity in my journal pages that wasn't there a year ago. I had a big chunk of the year where there weren't many words - if any - but they're starting to come back. Sometimes you have to push on through.

Sometimes you have to wait.

So Advent is about waiting... but with expectation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.