Thursday 14 December 2023

Captive

 

What sucks you in? What captures you?

I could see two 'purple holes' in this page, wanting to suck me in. They made me think about what captures us. I find it hilarious that, in this digitally connected world, my screen time on my phone is logged in minutes - usually less than ten per day. If I am waiting somewhere, I don't pull out my phone, I read a book. A proper, print on paper book. Or I knit or crochet if the weather is cooler. Zach stuck a sticker on my laptop that reads 'analogue girl, digital world'.

I get sucked in to books, to ideas, to creativity. I want to end this life knowing that I have contributed to the real life of real people in tangible ways, not frittered away my time on things that don't matter. Now I'm not saying that spending time in rest and recreation is bad - it obviously isn't. I'm just aware of how much time can be sucked away if we end up going down an unprofitable rabbit-hole. 

As we approach the beginning of a new year it's a good time to think about how we use our time and what we will allow to capture our imagination.




2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous page, Tracy, (those purple holes ARE captivating!) and I wish that I were as disciplined about screen time as you are. I, too, take books with me wherever I go, but at home finding myself 'zoning out' on screen time. There's a New Year's Resolution in the making there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend a fair amount of time on my laptop, I have to admit, but a lot of it is typing :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.