Thursday 15 November 2012

Fall Fearless and Fly #4





Fall Fearless and Fly Challenge #4:

Headline Prompt:  Security:  What makes you feel safe and secure?  What rattles your sense of security?  Where do you go for comfort and refuge?
Color Prompt:  Cool colors (blues, greens, violets, etc.) 
Quote Prompt: You can't make a place for yourself in the sun if you keep taking refuge under the family tree.  Helen Keller

I used the colour and headline prompts. I started with a page covered with Chinese writing which I then gessoed (with an inadvertantly blue brush - whoops! At least it fit with the colour scheme :)) and added circles which I find pleasing, comforting even, like the enveloping arms of someone you love.


Next I photoshopped a photo I took a few years ago of a tower, giving it a bluer caste. The tower represents the comfort I find in solitude. When I need to think something through, or just need some space, I come to my art room - not quite a studio yet, but I'm dreaming. It's where I run to.


I added a border to the photo and some tape.


Then the words 'security' and 'safe' and 'comfort' coloured in with Copic markers. 


Thinking about those words led me through the usual places. My home is a safe and secure place for me; a place where I can lock the world out and retreat. But like Carly at True Color I know that it is not the physical building that makes the home but the people - my husband and daughter. They are my home.
My security comes not from riches or possessions but from being loved - by my family, but ultimately by God. I added some verses from Habakkuk: Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:17-18) And from Psalm 46:1 about God being my refuge and strength, always present in times of trouble.
If we put our trust in riches or in other people and use them as our security, we will be let down at some time. With God as my security I know I stand on solid ground.


At this point I added more circles and some rays with water-soluble oil pastels and the word 'refuge' down the side of the page.


The finishing touches were the definition of security being the freedom from fear, anxiety, danger or threat, and the words 'God, home, family, solitude' - the things which bring security, safety, and comfort; the places I run to when I'm rattled. 

So there you have it - the journey thoughts about security led me on. Why not use the link at the top or the button in the side bar to check out what everyone else thought about this challenge. 


5 comments:

  1. Home is ogten the place of security, you have a piece of art that shows it beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful, rich piece. Full of layers and I love the symbolism of everything, down to the circles in your underlayer. Thank you for joining FF&F!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something very calming about your piece Tracy, I can feel the comfort and safety on your page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the steps as this develops! I think that blue oops was fabulous! I love it when the oops turn out well. Your art journal spread has so many layers- as does your exploration of the prompt! So glad you shared this with Fall Fearless and Fly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved sharing your journey and the finished pages are full of security

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.