Monday 25 September 2023

New tricks

 New tricks.

We all have to learn new things, no matter what age we are. At the moment I am learning a new software system at the bookshop where I work one day a week. Having just read a great book on memory (Remember by Lisa Genova) I have found that I was already applying the recommendations in the book to help me remember - pay attention, rehearse, make notes. These are the things I used many years ago when I was studying for exams, and I found them to be the best way for me to learn. If I make notes, I generally don't need to refer to them much afterwards, because the act of writing the notes helps to consolidate the info in my memory. 

Of course, I still make mistakes, but I have enough info from watching the videos, making the notes, and practicing, that I can usually work out where I went wrong. I knew I had become proficient at knitting when I was able to see and correct my own mistakes.

Have you been learning anything new lately?







3 comments:

  1. Luscious, gorgeous page...delicious to the max! And to answer your question, I'm learning tons right now - navigating my way through the medical system to get help with John's dementia, zoom meetings to learn more about the disease and on and on. It's an amazing world when the brain goes bleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish you weren't having to bend your brain to learn those things. But thank goodness that you are able. Hang on in there, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Awww, thanks for the zen thought of kindness. xo

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.