Wednesday 20 April 2016

How to be heard


I listened to a great TED talk the other day by Julian Treasure. It was about how to be heard.

To be heard it is best to avoid gossip, judging, lying, dogmatism, negativity, complaining, and excuses.

To be heard we must speak with honesty, authenticity, integrity, and love.

I found it interesting because, as a woman of faith, that is how I try to speak anyway. I don't always succeed, but that is my aim. Speaking honestly, with authenticity, integrity, and love is hard. It puts you in places where you are vulnerable. It means you have to keep a balance - truth with no love can be harsh; love with no truth doesn't help anybody.

Speaking the truth in love - that's a thin line to walk, but worth it in the end.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, deep thoughts Tracy! It's very hard to avoid all those negative traits. I'm consciously trying to, but don't always succeed, especially with the judgmental part. It's as if we are hard-wired to be critical of each other. It think it's our way to justify our own values by criticizing others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.