Monday 30 May 2016

The lady with grey hair


I've never really got on well with coloured pencils. Couldn't get the hang of them. Then I discovered artist quality pencils. The light shone! The quality is sooo much better than cheap packs that I've used before. Our local art shop - just a five minute walk from our house :) - had a sale on Derwent artist pencils, so I picked up a handful and had a play. As I'm still practicing faces at the moment, it seemed natural to try one with the pencils. I also pulled out some nice watercolour paper to give it my best shot.


The first thing that struck me was the creaminess of the pencils. It was so easy to lay down different amounts of colour, starting with light layers and adding more colour to give depth. They blended well, too.


The hair was a wash of ink and turned out grey, which was a happy accident. I like it. I also enjoyed taking photos from different angles. I love the way it distorts the features. Gives me ideas for different styles of face in the future.


Which medium do you need to give another try?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.