Tuesday 2 January 2024

Aphercotropism

 


Aphercotropism - literally 'turning away from an obstruction', it is the movement of a plants roots, shoots, etc. around obstacles such as stones in the soil or fences in the way of new shoots. (From The Cabinet of Calm by Paul Anthony Jones)

I have decided that I will use January to learn new words and record them in my journal. I want to simplify my pages for this month just to shake things up a little. 

So, aphercotropism. Why is this a useful word? It is good to be reminded that just because we hit an obstacle doesn't mean that we have to give up or give in. There is a way round it, even if it takes a long time. If we hit a wall, we can go around, or over, or under, or make a door through it. When you meet roadblocks this year remember that the roots and shoots of the smallest plants find a way, and so can you.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving yet another new word - the beauty of your desire to learn new words for the month means that I can learn them too. Loving the picture of sneaking around the stones - it's a great pictorial synonym for what we do in our creative lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could be helpful :) Creativity is all about getting around those obstacles, isn't it?

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.