Monday 1 January 2024

Umwelt

'Umwelt' - the world as it is experienced by a particular organism.

We all experience the world through a lens. There are things we miss because we are not looking for them, or maybe we are incapable of seeing them. If we could see like bees, we would see ultraviolet, and yet other animals don't see any colour. Our biology is the reason for some of our 'unseeing'. But we also don't see the things we don't want to see, or have been trained not to see, hear, or acknowledge.

Let 2024 be the year where we expand our umwelt; where we deliberately try to understand other cultures, other opinions, everything 'other'.



 

2 comments:

  1. Loving this one, Tracy - I'm all over umwelt, given that my word for the year is see! It's times to open my eyes and see what I've been missing, and I'll add this word and beautiful journal page to my memory in order to accomplish that! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you go through life with your eyes open and taking in all the new stuff, Win. I'm sure your word for the year will yield lots of fruit.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.