Thursday 25 April 2013

Through a lens


We all have a lens - a filter if you like - that we look at the world through.

Part of it will be our culture. It is very different being a Brit in Australia. Although we talk the same language, there are times when the way that language is used makes it feel very alien. I'll be following the conversation and all of a sudden a word is used completely out of the context I'm used to and I'm lost. (Manchester, anyone? Me - city in the north of England. Australians - bed linen)

Part of it will be personal experience. If you've been routinely rejected, it's hard to trust people. If you've been constantly criticised, any innocent comment may be taken the wrong way.

Knowing what your lens is like is the first step to giving it a good clean and seeing things as they really are.

5 comments:

  1. great journal page and great question. I totally get you on the cultural differences. I grew up in a different part of the US than where I live now. It's a lot more different than you would think! You get used to things, but every now and again something will remind you that you are really from somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your journal page and I love the deeper meaning. One of the struggles I have is with people who have no idea that they have a filter on the world. We all have a particular lens, filter or worldview and its only when we recognise it that we can truly understand the filters of others. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your journal page and the message. So true about the lens - if only everyone could identify their lens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful. I am very sensitive...and it can really hurt when I am OVER- sensitive! I love your journal page, Tracy. (Really? manchester means bed linen? I wonder where that came from, but I can see how that would be confusing!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathy, it really does. I'm guessing it's to do with Manchester having been a mill town.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.