Wednesday 21 March 2018

Face practice


With my limited materials - a few pens, coloured pencils, neocolor IIs - I've been doing some face practice. Although I don't often draw on my art journal pages, I like to sketch in a separate sketchbook as it helps me to really look at things. Since doing the 29faces challenge first in 2014 and then again in 2016, I can see a heap of improvement. The practice really helps. I still have some problems with perspective, but overall, I'm pleased with my progress.

The drawing above is copied from a highly lit magazine photo. The contours of the face disappear with the harsh light, leaving just the features. I've tried to capture the face with just a few lines/patches of colour.


The drawing above and the two below are done with coloured pencils. One of the things that practicing has helped me with is going straight in with a medium that can't be rubbed out. It has made me more sure of my lines, more confident of putting marks on the page and not worrying about whether they are just right. Practicing drawing with my non-dominant hand has helped with this as well.





1 comment:

  1. Well done, Tracy - those faces just keep getting better and better. I like the look of them done with coloured pencil - they have a lovely sketchy quality!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.