Wednesday 1 May 2019

Ladders


What does success look like?

We all, in some way, are looking to climb a ladder, to be a success. But what does success look like? Are we taken in by society's ideal - you can have it all? You can be all you want to be, we are told, but really we can't. I can want to be six feet tall, but it isn't going to happen. Instead, I learn to be content with my 5 foot and a bit.

Some days success is getting through the day without snapping at anyone because you feel lousy; not taking that out on anyone else is a major act of self-control - a success.

Success should be about the person we are. It's about character not achievements. You can be the most 'successful' person in the eyes of the world - making lots of money, winning awards, becoming a celebrity - but what does it all mean if you are not kind, loving, gracious, or humble? Which kind of person would you rather spend time with? Which one is there when you need them?


Lots of ladders appeared on this page. The major one was made by slapping on black paint and then removing some of it through a hand-cut stencil with a baby-wipe. That's when the page came together for me.


As I evaluate what I have achieved, I need to have proper perspective. In the eyes of the world I'm not much of a success. I don't have a career, having been a home-schooling mum for all my daughter's educational years. I'm a clergy wife who does a lot of admin etc. on a voluntary basis. I don't bring in a wage. I'm not massively popular with thousands of followers.

But...

I am loved.

And because I am loved, I am learning to be more gentle, more kind, to hold my tongue when my words will not be helpful. I am slowly becoming less judgemental and more fruitful, even though that is an uphill struggle most of the time, and sometimes my knees get dirty when I fall down. I am trying to use the gifts I've been given to encourage others. I am a work in progress.




1 comment:

  1. Oh I am in love with this post, Tracy - the imagery is wonderful and your thoughtful take on success just thrills me. You are bang on in so many ways...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.