Friday 10 June 2022

Unclear

 

It's not always as clear as you might think.

These colours made me think of the binary genders and how trying to fit people into one of two very distinct boxes doesn't work for everyone.  I do not necessarily fit into a 'typical' female mould. I do not wear make-up, and haven't for decades. I am not interested in fashion and don't wear high heels, even though I am short. I own two handbags and my husband has more shoes than I do. But as a cis female I am happy to use the 'she/her' pronouns. I identify as female. 

Others who are afab (assigned female at birth) might want to wear heels and make-up but feel very uncomfortable with the 'she/her' pronouns. They might identify as non-binary, or genderqueer, or male, or some other self-identifying label. Gender is about identity not anatomy.  Those of us who are cis-gendered have no idea how painful it is for those who feel that their body does not reflect who they are inside. We can help to ease that pain by giving respect and dignity to all people by using their preferred pronouns, no matter how difficult it might be to start with. 'They' may feel strange to use for a singular person, but with practice it gets easier. The person concerned will appreciate the work you put in to seeing them and acknowledging who they are inside.



2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating and informative post, Tracy, and I love the page that crosses lines and boundaries with such ease! Well said, and painted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Win. Just trying to be informed :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.